State of Kansas Real-ID Compliance

Starting August 1, 2017, the State of Kansas will begin issuing

Real ID Compliant credentials.

In 2005, the U.S. Congress passed the “Real-ID Act”which establishes minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards, and prohibits Federal Agencies from accepting identification cards from states that do not meet these standards.

The new Real-ID/DL credentials will have a “Gold Star” printed on them and the Non-Real ID credentials will specify“Not for Federal ID”.

In order to obtain a State issued Real-ID, the applicant will need to provide

• Proof of Social Security (i.e. SSN Card, current W-2, Current 1099, current pay stub with applicant’s name and SSN on it),

• The applicant will also need to provide a certified birth certificate or current U.S. passport. If your driver’s license or identification card has a different last name compared to your birth certificate we will need marriage license,divorce decree, court order of adoption, or court order of legal name change.

 How will Real-ID compliance affect you?

Starting October 1, 2020 every person 18 and over who travels by air

will need to present a Real-ID-compliant license for domestic air travel.

Real-ID compliance does NOT apply to

• Voting,

• Applying for federal benefits,

• Being licensed to drive, or

• Accessing health or life preserving services.

The Osborne County Treasurer’s office cannot complete your transaction for Real-ID compliance if you have a Commercial Driver’s License. You will need to go to a full-service station (Salina, Hays and Phillipsburg are the closest).

If you need to replace your Kansas birth certificate you may go to,

if you need to apply for a replacement social securitycard you may go to

The Osborne County Treasurer’s Office hours of operation for Driver’s License and Identification transactions are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

   Driver License Renewals / Address Changes

Osborne County Courthouse
Treasurer's Office, First Floor
423 West Main
Osborne, Kansas  67473

Monday thru Friday
8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
for appointments after 4:00 p.m.  call  785-346-2251

The following applications can be processed at the Osborne County Treasurer’s Office.

  1. Instructional permits and farm permits for 14 year olds who have completed drivers’ education.
  2. Restricted licenses for 16 year olds who have completed drivers’ education.
  3. Unrestricted licenses for 17 year olds who have completed drivers’ eduction.
  4. State Issued Identification Cards.
  5. Kansas Renewal for Class A, B, C and M.
  6. Address Changes for  Class A, B, C and M. 

Driver's License Renewal Fees

Class M
4 Year C $12.00   $8.00 $1.00 $21.00
4 Year CM 12.00 $9.00 8.00 1.00 30.00
4 Year A or B 16.00   8.00 1.00 25.00
4 Year A or B
with M
16.00 9.00 8.00 1.00 34.00
6 Year C 18.00   8.00 1.00 27.00
6 Year CM 18.00 12.50 8.00 1.00 39.50
6 Year A or B 24.00   8.00 1.00 33.00
6 Year A or B
with M
24.00 12.50 8.00 1.00 45.50


All driver licenses expire on applicants 21st birthday.
Applicants age 65 and over receive a 4 year license.
Applicants age 21 to 64 receive a 6 year license.

The following applications cannot be processed at the  Osborne County Treasurer’s Office.

  1. New applications.
  2. Application for Kansas license when applicant has a license issued in another State.
  3. Instructional permits for 14 year olds who have not completed driver's education.
  4. Restricted licenses for those who have not completed driver's education.
  5. Driver’s License’s that have been expired more than one year.
  6. Effective 1/1/2006, The Director of Vehicles has discontinued all CDL processing in county treasurer's offices.

Kansas Driver's License Status Check

 Forms and Publications

 Graduated Driver License Requirements for Teen Drivers


Change of Address

Driver's License